For the open sandwich with rye bread and salmon
- 2 – 3 slices of smoked salmon
- 2 slices of rye bread
- 1 snack cucumber, thinly sliced
- 1 ripe avocado
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- Optional: salt and pepper
For the pomegranate relish
- ½ red onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ tbsp lemon juice
- ½ cup pomegranate juice
- 1 cup pomegranate seeds
Makes two slices of rye bread with salmon.
- First make the pomegranate relish by mixing all the ingredients (except the pomegranate seeds) in a bowl. Place it in the refrigerator for at least one hour so that all the flavors can mingle and the red onion can marinate.
- Mash the avocado in a bowl, add the lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. Spread a generous layer of the avocado mixture onto the rye bread and add 1½ slices of smoked salmon on the top.
- Remove the pomegranate relish from the refrigerator and add the pomegranate seeds. Mix well and serve with the open sandwich with rye bread and salmon.
Tip: this delicious sweet-sour relish can make any meal special. Try it with a pan-fried salmon fillet, or with a tender piece of chicken.